Skip to main content
man driving a vehicle

Can I Get Out of a Probation Violation?

Probation violations can be filed after a failed drug screen, a new arrest, or for missing an appointment with a counselor or treatment program. Sometimes, the alleged violation was not your fault. In other situations, the alleged violation may be able to be corrected or completed before an evidentiary hearing takes place. There are also situations where the alleged violation did not occur. Our team at Gibson Law has extensive experience in developing a strategy to defend against a petition to revoke probation. Probationers under threat of revocation have the right to confront and cross-examine witnesses, and representation by an attorney.

Indiana Defense Lawyers for Probation Violations in Lafayette, Bloomington, Anderson, and Fort Wayne

Call Gibson Law Office today toll free at 855-9-GIBSON or schedule a free consultation.

What Is a Probation Violation?

The prosecutor or probation officer can file a petition to revoke probation by alleging you violated a term of probation. This can happen if any of these situations occur while you are on supervised or unsupervised probation after being sentenced:

  • Being arrested for a new offense
  • Failing a drug test
  • Not reporting to or checking in with probation officer
  • Missing court-ordered rehabilitation or counseling appointments
  • Not paying restitution or fines
  • And more

A petition to revoke probation must be filed during the probationary period or before the earlier of the following:

(A) One (1) year after the termination of probation.

(B) Forty-five (45) days after the state receives notice of the violation.

Whether you relapsed, committed a new crime, or did anything else to violate your probation, we have a skilled team of attorneys to help defend or mitigate the situation.

What Are the Consequences of a Probation Violation?

If you violate your probation, there can be harsh consequences including:

  • Being sentenced to prison
  • Additional jail time
  • Work release or house arrest
  • Drug counseling
  • Additional terms of probation
  • Extending the term of probation for up to one year

Working with an attorney from the Gibson Law Office can help you develop a plan to avoid these penalties. Contact us today to get a free consultation and see how our criminal defense attorneys can help.


Contact an experienced criminal attorney now.

You need to act fast to protect your rights. Schedule a free consultation now.

Contact Us